By far, the main highlight of Santa Maria del Carmine is represented by the Brancacci Chapel (Capella dei Brancacci), which, again, survived the major fire which occurred in 1771. Despite the fact the chapel rightfully pertains to the church hosting it, they are deemed distinct tourist objectives. It is during the 15th century that Masolino di Panicale and his apprentice Masaccio were commissioned to carry out the task of frescoing the chapel, which they successfully did, though only in part, the rest of the work being completed by Filippino Lippi, the famed studied successor of Masaccio. The Brancacci Chapel is an extremely valuable landmark for the Renaissance pictorial art given Masaccio was one of the first to implement the scientific study of perspective and the light-and-shade (chiaroscuro) technique in his art, which led to a much more naturalistic effect of the painting.

The significance of his work could never be overemphasized, Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci alike being said to have repeatedly come to the Brancacci Chapel in order to study the technique of Masaccio. In this respect, one must distinguish between the contribution of Masolino, Masaccio and Filippino Lippi. Thus, it is to Masolino that the following scenes are attributed: the scene which depicts the Temptation of Adam and Eve, possibly the Healing of the Cripple, St. Peter Preaching. The Expulsion from the Garden of Eden, Peter’s Calling, possibly the Tribute Money and the Raising of Tabitha, the Baptism of the Neophytes, Saint Peter Healing the Sick, the Distribution of Alms and Death of Ananias, all these are foisted on Masaccio, whereas Filippino Lippi has shared in by the Disputation with Simon Magus, the Crucifixion of St. Peter, St. Peter Being Freed from Prison, St. Paul Visiting St. Peter in Prison, the Raising of the Son of Theophilus and St. Peter Enthroned.

Name:
Santa Maria del Carmine
Address:
14 Piazza del Carmine, Florence
Telephone number:
0039 (0)55 238 2195
Website:
www.museicivicifiorentini.it

14 Piazza del Carmine, Florence

Go to top