The Church of Sant’Ambrogio (St. Ambrose) is literally one of the oldest structures in Florence, the nowadays church stretching on the alleged place where St. Ambrose himself stayed while visiting Florence in 393. Given the reputation of the guest, a church was later built on that precise place, a church which was first mentioned in 998, though there are indications as to the existence of a religious establishment long before the 10th century.

Florentines are fond of this church mainly due to the alleged miraculous episode said to have occurred in 1230 when the wine remaining from the previous day in a chalice turned into blood. On the very spot where this episode took place the Chapel of the Miracle (Cappella del Miracolo) was later built with a marble tabernacle designed by Mino da Fiesole (in late 15th century). All these aside, the church is also valuable as to its artistic asset to which plenty of notable figures have shared in. Filippo Lippi, Sandro Botticelli, Masaccio and his master Masolino, the above mentioned Mino da Fiesole, Fra Bartolomeo, Niccolo Gerini, Lorenzo di Bicci, Giovanni della Robbia and others have all contributed with their best artfulness to the artistic heritage of the church.

The worth of such works has been ascertained by the fact that some of them – such as Filippo Lippi’s altarpiece depicting St. Ambrose and the scene of the Coronation, Masolino’s and Masaccio’s St. Anne – have been moved to the famed Uffizi Gallery. Tourists interested in the work and life of Mino da Fiesole, Andrea Verrocchio, Simone Pollaiolo dubbed Il Cronaca, and Francesco Granacci (close friend of Michelangelo) should know all these are buried here.

Church of Sant’Ambrogio
Piazza Sant’Ambrogio, Florence